Monday, February 2, 2009

Special Friend Day


On Friday, I had the privilege of going to Assumption School, in San Leandro, as Joey's special friend. I felt extremely honored that she picked ME of all the important and wonderful role models she has in her life! This may be due to the fact that I am a stay-at-home mom, but still...

After arriving at the school, all the special guests were shuffled into the first grade classroom to sit in teeny tiny chairs. Joey showed me her cubby, special craft projects she made that were hung on the wall, the inside of her not-so-organized desk, etc. Even though I was in first grade 20 plus years ago, memories came flooding back to me. I almost wanted to cry from the nostalgia. Things really weren't all that different between her first grade classroom and mine. It still smelled like glue, the boys were extremely loud, and her teacher (like mine) spoke in a super warm and fuzzy voice that made me want to curl up on the floor for a nap. After a church service with a message about friendship, the school day was over. It was a shortened schedule and I was kind of disappointed that I wasn't invited to recess.

I took Joey to McDonald's for lunch afterwards where I too got a Chicken McNugget Happy Meal. It was extremely delicious. I'm pretty sure they put some kind of addictive chemical in those McNuggets because I've been really craving them since.

Anyway, I am so thankful to Joey for the opportunity to be her special friend. First graders are really quite interesting and it was fun to hang out with them for the day.

1 comment:

Heather said...

That is so sweet that she picked you as her special friend. I'm sure all the kids just loved you.