Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Perfect Weekend

I LOVE the weekends. Sometimes they're crammed with so many activities that I feel like we need a couple days to recuperate after the weekend (which is supposed to be a time of rest, right?). Sometimes they're lazy and we spend most of our time hanging out on the couch. Sometimes they're highly productive and the garage gets cleaned, projects get done, etc. Sometimes the combination of a happy child, well-rested mother, and beautiful weather make for a perfect weekend. That was how this one went.

On Saturday morning I made breakfast burritos after Knute took Rudy out for exercise, and then we headed to Anthropologie (I had a gift card that's been burning a hole in my pocket since Christmas). It's my favorite store. Knute and Ellie stayed outside and watched the ducks while I took my sweet time. On our way home they dropped me off at Tomatina to have lunch with Shawn. She was in town from San Diego for a couple days. I love Shawn and I love Tomatina.

On Saturday night we headed to El Charro for a 30th Birthday Party and left Ellie with her first babysitter (that wasn't family). She didn't even cry when we left which I was relieved about, but it secretly made me a little sad. I called about once every hour, but I was OK. I was in the company of good friends and I was still able to enjoy my Margaritas.

Ellie slept in until about 7:30 on Sunday. She's been doing that lately and I love her for it. We had a leisurely morning drinking coffee, reading the paper, and eating toast. We headed to the Oakland Zoo in the afternoon with the Schroeders. I think Ellie is more entertained with her own dog then the zoo animals, but it was still a nice time. On the way home we stopped at In-N-Out for an early dinner. I had been craving fast food for weeks and today I had to succumb to my craving. It was totally worth it.
When we got home I spent time in my garden (see...I told you I was serious) planting seeds, tomato plants, and then watering them. Mark really likes to stress the importance of watering. That's all I have to do...just WATER everything! I don't think he realizes that this is what I've struggled with in the past.
Later I went on a run with Ellie and Rudy (well...sort of a run/walk).

Now it's Sunday evening and I just got finished reading my exhausted 10-month-old "Goodnight Moon" and putting her to bed. No, I can't believe she's 10 months old. It sounds so much older then nine.

I'm contemplating ending my Sunday night with a warm bath before snuggling into bed with my favorite person.

It was my version of the perfect weekend. I know they can't all be like this, so I will try my best to treasure these memories.

My 10-Month Old!

3 comments:

JKAndrus said...

Hi!
I am going to be in town the weekend of may 15th and invited some of the girls over to my parents house on Saturday for lunch and swimming. Would love to have you if you're available. What's your email address? P.S-Ellie is so cute and so big!!

Amy and Chad said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend Love Ellie's smile! Can't wait to try out some of the veggies from your garden at cooking club.

Girl About Here said...

Your garden is so great. I'm a true novice!