Saturday, May 31, 2008

Walnut Creek Art & Wine Festival















Every year I look forward to this event with high expectations. I guess for me, it kind of signals the beginning of summer. Typically I go more for the wine and less for the art, but that was not so much the case this year. At the risk of sounding like a complete lush, I didn't have quite as much fun. It was still a nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon and I enjoyed catching up with friends, but definitely not the roaring good time I recall. Is it me or did the wine glasses shrink by a good 30%? Since when did it become $20.00 for three drink tickets? Over $6.50 for no more than 3 oz. of wine? If I had been partaking in the wine drinking, I would have been very annoyed by this fact. Anyways...

One year I wore a fabulous pink hat (or at least what I thought to be) that stained my hair pink and took at least five washes to get out. I remember feeling so sexy in that hat, even though I'm sure I looked like a complete idiot to everyone around me. The afternoon then extended into a late evening with more wine at the Greenery, and then into the early morning at Lex and Aimee's house (also involving more wine). I don't think any other year has quite stacked up to that one. Of course, next year will be a whole other experience. We will have the pleasure of bringing our little girl with us. On the way back to our car this afternoon (after purchasing a huge bag of the best Kettle Korn I've ever had), Knute and I debated about which stroller we should bring with us next year. How silly is that? Life is going to be so different.

It can be sad letting go of certain chapters in your life. Knute and I have always had so much fun with it just being the two of us. Although we will continue to have plenty of fun together, the dynamics will completely shift with three of us. We will never be able to be careless and stupid without knowing that we have someone who is dependent on us. I feel like this reality probably changed in me several months ago when I found out that I was pregnant. You have to care for yourself not just for you, but for someone else as well. Knute probably hasn't quite yet experienced this, but soon enough. Once again, I somehow digress to "Deep thoughts by Paris." I'll save it for another time...

2 comments:

Scott McMillan said...

You must bring the maclaren with high tech wheels, good for both sand and dirt and cup holders for your wine. Oh wait, maybe the bob would be best for offroading and a good walk home. No actually the bugaboo for a status statement. Just some food for thought... Can't wait to meet your little one.

Jennifer said...

Next year will be so much better than this year! :D