Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Dangers of Target

I feel that it is my responsibility to warn you of the dangers that lurk within Target. Unless you have an incredible amount of willpower (which I apparently don't), I recommend staying far away. It gets me every time I go. I have a pep talk with myself in the car that I am only going to get what's on my list:

Freezer Bags
Method Counter Spray in Grapefruit (I'm obsessed)
Windex

I'm not even in the store five minutes before the aisles have sucked me in like a vortex. All the fun summer stuff: bright colored beach towels, fun lawn toys, plastic cups with cool designs, 4th of July decorations! I tell myself that I don't need this junk. It's cute, but it will only end up in a Goodwill pile next year and create more unnecessary clutter around the house. I remain strong and head over to collect my Windex. Somehow I get side-tracked along the way. I start talking on my cell phone and lose focus of what I am there for. I start walking through the aisles in a trance-like state. I decide to get just a few more things that I need while I am already there.

Twenty minutes later I leave with the following:
Windex
Method Counter Spray
Two nightgowns
A nursing tank top
Eye Makeup Remover
Hair Gel
Elastic headbands
Underwear (ugly, full-bottomed, & cotton)
Grated Cheese
Peanut Butter
Tuna (gross!)
Cards for assorted occasions
Gum
People Magazine

Crap...I've done it again! I succumbed to the dangers in Target. The best part is that I didn't even leave with one of the three items on my list. I then had to make a separate stop on the way home for Freezer Bags. I will do better next time I tell myself. Next time Target will not get the best of me.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I feel you. I was laughing at this since I am the same. I went to Target on Sunday for a Father's Day gift (while Jason and Marley waited for me in the car). I promised them I would be 5 minutes.

I left the store 45 minutes later with:
Dog Bones
A Book For Myself
A Blowup Pool for the Backyard for Marley
Frozen Appetizers
Magazine
Socks

I totally forgot Father's Day cards and couldn't find anything for my Dad, so mission was not accomplished.

Jennifer said...

I do this EVERY time I go to Target. Can't spend less than $100. Maddie and I go every week! Bad, bad habit.